Tuesday 28 July 2009

Introductions...

Hello to all of you out there,

I live just outside of Edinburgh, Scotland, where I was born, bred and educated, and have participated in sports of all types, and at all levels. Of course, I started out trying to kick a football about in the back garden with my dad, but I soon discovered that there is far more to sport in Scotland than just our National Game.

My interest in football, and particularly my home town team of Hibernian FC, has thankfully stood the test of time (and an improbably cruel number of Scottish Cup defeats), though my own sporting ambitions currently trump my desire to pay up to £30 to sit in a freezing stadium for two hours on a Saturday. I prefer to spend that time sitting on the bench for the Scottish Champion City of Edinburgh Kings basketball team, where I (in theory) have at least the chance of being a part of the action to comfort me, as opposed to the pie 'n' bovril combo favoured by thousands as they huddle together in stadia around the country every Saturday.

Basketball is very much a minority sport in Scotland, though this is a label that could quite rightly be applied to any physical activity without the hallowed "rugby" or "football" monikers to back up their claim to Scottish attention, and the finances that are so vital to the progression of sport in a country where summer lasts about a week.

This blog will aim to bring some publicity to basketball in Scotland, but particularly the Edinburgh area, without being exclusive in its focus. I will post on whatever aspects of sporting news most grab my attention, though I hope you will allow for an element of bias in my writing due to my aforementioned affections for certain teams and sports!

Many thanks for reading, and I hope you will continue to check back often.

No comments:

Post a Comment